4 Tips for a Better Tummy Tuck
The results of your abdominoplasty can improve greatly when the patient is a good candidate, knows the available options and chooses the right surgeon for the job. Here are four tips that can help ensure a better tummy tuck.
1. Identifying a Good Candidate
A good tummy tuck candidate requires being a nonsmoker who is in good physical and mental health, and who has already reached a stable weight. Having a realistic expectation about your likely outcome also helps to ensure better satisfaction with your results.
2. Choose a Surgeon Who Uses Advanced Techniques
A well-performed tummy tuck should look completely natural, and that means choosing a highly experienced surgeon who incorporates the latest technology. Use of the pain pumps or quilting sutures Quill™ device and other forward-thinking surgical techniques can result in a better-looking final contour as well as reduce the odds of unfavorable scarring. I am constantly seeking to improve the experience and that end, I have invented and obtained a patent on a drain that minimizes pain by reducing the number of drains required.
3. Know Your Options
Getting the best result from a tummy tuck means knowing the available options for abdominoplasty:
- A micro tummy tuck is best for patients with excellent skin tone who need a minor correction.
- A mini tummy tuck uses a smaller incision to address a specific area below the navel only or revision of a C-section (Pfannenstiel) scar.
- A midi (“marriage”) tummy tuck repairs muscle laxity but offers less correction for excess skin (comparable to a mini tummy tuck).
- A maxi (traditional or full) tummy tuck requires an incision from hip to hip, removing loose skin throughout the abdomen as well as repairing separated muscles from the pubic area up to the breasts.
- More complex, extensive (“extended”) tummy tuck options are ideal for those who have experienced drastic weight loss.
4. Include Lipo
Abdominoplasty is a large-scale surgery, while liposuction offers precision and control. Including liposuction with your tummy tuck can further refine your results, as well as ensuring a smooth transition in the surrounding areas. Commonly treated areas include the hips to limit the formation of “dog ears” as well as the inner thighs or mons pubis.