Why Have a Labiaplasty?
Chicago Plastic Surgeon Dr. Placik at Associated Plastic Surgeons S.C. is one of the few cosmetic surgeons to offer labiaplasty. Although it is growing quickly in popularity, it is still relatively unknown. A labiaplasty is a surgical modification of the female labia.
The labia are the folds of skin which surround the vulva, and there are two: labia minora (typically smaller and closer in) and labia majora (larger and more visible). For a brief review of the anatomy, see Dr. Placik's video on Youtube, Labiaplasty: Understanding the Anatomy. Their sizes vary from woman to woman, and if a woman feels that they're too large, they can be surgically reduced. Some women especially feel that their labia minora are too large. Sometimes the labia are asymmetrical which may seem undesirable.
Labia size is usually hereditary, but it may be sometimes increased by childbirth, aging, or the taking of hormones. Some reasons why a woman might want to have a labiaplasty are:
- Physical comfort, when either the labia minora or labia majora, or both, are too large
- To make the labia less visible under tight clothing
- To reduce discomfort or embarrassment during intercourse
- For increased comfort in physical activity such as biking or working out
- To reduce constant abrasion which can cause inflammation and infection
A labiaplasty can be combined with other cosmetic surgery procedures, such as liposuction or tummy tucks. Dr. Placik will be glad to answer your questions and make recommendations for you.
Please e-mail our Chicago Cosmetic Surgery Office or call our Chicago or Arlington Heights plastic surgery offices for more information on labiaplasty.