Breast ptosis is the natural drooping of the breasts that occurs as gravity and age stretch breast skin and ligaments, or breast tissue volume is reduced. For many women, breast elasticity changes can diminish self-confidence and esteem. Thankfully, surgical solutions exist that can uplift sagging breasts to restore their shape and volume to a more youthful appearance.
How Breast Ptosis Occurs
Gravity is one of the most dominant forces in breast ptosis. Other factors that can accelerate breast drooping include:
- Dramatic weight loss – After losing weight, tissues that once suspended breasts occasionally shrink, too, which results in drooping breasts.
- Genetics – Teenagers sometimes suffer from breast ptosis due to hereditary factors.
- Pregnancy – Bodies produce milk in the breasts during pregnancy in preparation for the child. After childbirth, the enlarged glands return to their original state, which occasionally differs from their pre-pregnancy proportions.
Solutions for Breast Ptosis
The most effective solution for addressing sagging breasts is a breast lift, or mastopexy. While each case is different, generally Dr. Otto Placik will reduce or tighten breast skin, reposition the nipple, and/or insert breast implants in order to reclaim the youthful, perky appearance and feel that your breasts once had.
How Mastopexy Can Help Breast Ptosis
It is worthwhile to consider having a breast lift to restore your breasts to their natural shape if sagging breasts are hindering your self-esteem and confidence. Mastopexy can help breast ptosis when:
- Breast firmness has been reduced
- Breasts sag when not supported by a bra
- Undesirable stretch marks exist
- One breast droops lower than the other
- Breasts appear long and flat
- Nipples point downward
- Breasts are no longer proportional to the body
Candidacy for Correcting Breast Ptosis
In order to even consider a surgical solution for breast ptosis, women must have realistic goals and expectations. Additionally, if you are already planning weight loss, it is recommended that you achieve your desired weight prior to surgery. Since nicotine can adversely affect the recovery process, only non-smokers should pursue a surgical solution for breast sagging. Furthermore, if you are considering having more children at a later date, this can cause the sagging to recur.
Each breast ptosis case is unique. During your initial breast consultation with Dr. Otto Placik in his Chicago, Illinois office, an examination of your breasts and medical history will be conducted. Afterward, options will be discussed regarding your goals and what surgeries are available based on your current breast conditions.
Please contact our Chicago, Illinois plastic surgery office today to schedule your consultation.