Questions About Breast Asymmetry
What is breast asymmetry?
Breast asymmetry is when one breast size differs significantly from the other. This can be related to size, shape or both.
Why is breast symmetry important?
Both scientists and artists agree: symmetry is a major factor in determination of beauty. Faces and bodies are recognized as beautiful when symmetrical qualities exist.
While even Hollywood stars may have minor asymmetry, when great symmetrical variations exist, one might pursue a cosmetic solution to enhance their self-esteem and desirability.
How is breast asymmetry caused?
Numerous factors can influence breast development and result in unevenly sized and shaped breasts, including:
- Localized disease or condition – Also known as degenerative breast asymmetry, this occurs when breasts begin similar in size but one shrinks due to a disease or breast condition
- Natural aging – Each breast can react differently to gravity and other natural stressors of aging
- Drastic weight change – Either excessive weight gain or loss can cause an uneven gain or removal of breast fat
- Asymmetrical virginal hypertrophy – When a pubescent woman experiences excessive, sudden growth in one breast
- A bodies response after breast feeding and/or pregnancy can result in an uneven, redistribution of breast tissue
Does breast asymmetry increase cancer risks?
Yes. The risk of cancer development increases in women with breast asymmetry 1.5 times for each 100ml increase in asymmetry.
Will correcting breast asymmetry through reconstructive surgery decrease breast cancer risk?
No. Women with breast asymmetry should regularly undergo cancer screenings. For women who choose to correct their asymmetry through breast augmentation, Dr. Otto Placik can place the breast implants below the pectoral muscles to increase mammogram accuracy.
How can breast asymmetry be corrected?
Dr. Placik will examine your medical history and current breast condition to determine available, surgical solutions for your breast asymmetry. Common procedures include one or more of the following:
In addition to correcting breast size, women may choose to reconstruct their nipple to properly proportion nipple and breast size. Larger nipples can be corrected through nipple reduction and smaller nipples can be increased in size through areola tattooing.
Each instance of breast asymmetry is unique and requires a breast consultation in the Chicago, Illinois office of Dr. Placik, plastic surgeon, to determine what cosmetic solutions are available to you. Please contact our plastic surgery office today to schedule your personal consultation.